While grateful for the strong history of witness and mission in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) denomination of which we are a part, some actions and directions of the national church in recent years have caused real concern among Central College members and the Session of the Church. In particular, some have questioned the denomination's commitment to Scripture as God's unique and authoritative witness, to Christ as essential for salvation, and to marriage as between a man and a woman.
We remain a part of the PCUSA believing
- the local church, as described in Scripture, is solely responsible for its faithfulness to God,
- the local church is called to be a witness to its community and the world, and to any group with which it is affiliated, and therefore,
- we differentiate ourselves from the PCUSA where we believe it is in error, and join with the denomination where we believe it is doing the work of God.
The Session has responded to denominational concerns with serious study of the Scriptures on related topics, study of denominational actions and statements, and repeated re-affirmation of the beliefs and practices we feel are essential. The fruit of these labors can be seen in the following documents.
- Statement of Affirmations adopted 2008
- Statement of Faith, revised 2013
- Resolution to Presbytery, adopted 2014